Friday, May 1, 2009

Quotation & Response (by Eric Felker)

"When we view ourselves in space and time, our consciousnesses are obviously the separate individuals of a particle-picture, but when we pass beyond space and time, they may perhaps form the ingredients of a single conscious stream of life. As it is with light and electricity, so may it be with life: the phenomena may be individuals carry on separate existences in time and space, while in the deeper reality beyond time and space, we may all be members on one body."

Sir James Hopwood Jeans
astronomer & mathematician


My prayer in response to Jeans' statement:

O Divine One, I joyfully know myself to be one of the separate consciousnesses of being and life. From that viewpoint, I attempt to know myself and know the world around me; I arrive at a changing, partial and imperfect knowledge, a changing, partial and imperfect linking.

Using my partial view, I can, with Jeans, glimpse beyond time and space to the unity of being and life. That glimpse of fuller truth is a great challenge and a great opportunity for me to open my spiritual life to the "one body" that is You.

May I remember every day that I live in the world of time and space and also in timelessness and spacelessness. May the relationship between those two conditions be a deep source of compassion and inspiration, of action and stillness.

No comments: